SMART-CIT is Agile testing software for data warehouse and BI projects.
Who is SMART-CIT for?
SMART-CIT is a suite of automated, Continuous Integration Testing software specifically designed for Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence projects.
What is SMART-CIT?
- SMART-CIT is a suite of automated, Continuous Integration Testing software specifically designed for Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence projects.
- SMART-CIT automates the testing of complex, data-related system builds, covering Unit, System, UAT and Integration testing for data-oriented projects.
- SMART-CIT builds a repository of tests that ensure every new developed component is tested in and of itself, and tested in relation to every other component up and downstream, ensuring the new component does not break anything else in the system
- SMART-CIT represents a new generation of intelligent testing software – detecting only relevant tests required – unnecessary tests dont need to run saving huge amounts of time, cost and processing power.
- SMART-CIT saves time, reduces risk and produces auditable, fully documented test results stored in one central location
- SMART-CIT uses visible red, green and amber lights to easily visualise test results for all to see, both physical (ie on location) and web based (for remote users). This light shows everyone the current status of Continuous Integration Testing.
A core skill for all data warehouse developers
|Let the database do the hard work
Take advantage of existing change control mechanisms
|All the tests are stored permanently
Knowledge is condensed into a single file
|Use sophisticated lineage to only do what's necessary
Where does SMART-CIT fit in?
WHY AUTOMATED TESTING?
- Provide data-centric testing for Data Warehousing and BI Projects
- Ensure the solution works
- Protect existing software investments
- Automate a complex, time consuming process
- Continue to accurately and extensively test systems as they get larger and larger
- Test the end to end data warehouse process, ensuring all data dependencies are covered
WHY IS TESTING FOR DATA WAREHOUSING AND BI PROJECTS SPECIAL?
- We need to test DATA, not software
- Data processing is complex and interrelated
- Data lineage and impact analysis are difficult to identify
- Thorough testing takes time and money
- Testing effort is often needlessly repeated
HOW SMART-CIT WORKS
- SMART testing allows you to automatically and efficiently perform the equivalent of a FULL UAT every time anything is changed, no matter how minor
- SMART testing tests CHANGE, and so avoids uncontrollable increases in complexity as the system grows
- SMART testing saves an average of 80% of testing time
- SMART testing can be used in Agile projects, and equally well in SDLC projects
SMART-CIT INTEGRATION WITH WHERESCAPE RED
SMART-CIT integrates seamlessly with WhereScape RED – automatically synchronising with the RED metadata repository to ensure that every object built is available in SMART-CIT for testing.
BENEFITS OF SMART-CIT
- The first product of its kind to allow effective, comprehensive, automated testing of data-centric software
- Targets ONLY the specific transformations and tests which need to be run
- Store all tests safe in a central repository
- Reduces time, cost, complexity of testing
- Tests every component - unit, system, integration and UAT testing all in one product
- Vastly improves quality and reliability of the overall solution for the long term
- Immediate traffic light visual display of test results and overall test status